Government's Strategy for a Healthier, More Active Nation
As one of the nation's premier leisure centre operators, boasting an impressive 24 million annual visits, we understand the transformative power of physical activity. It enhances our physical and mental well-being, strengthens our communities, and propels our society towards greater prosperity.
We wholeheartedly embrace the government's comprehensive strategy (Sept 2023) aimed at nurturing a healthier, more active nation. The primary objectives are truly commendable:
1. Ambitious Goals for Increased Physical Activity:
- This strategy dares to dream big, with a strong emphasis on elevating physical activity levels across the population, especially among our children.
- It introduces an innovative, cross-government approach to promoting physical activity for all, underpinned by clear metrics and targets overseen by a collaborative National Physical Activity Taskforce, uniting government, and sector stakeholders.
- There's a dedicated focus on reaching inactive groups and ensuring that communities have access to the necessary resources and facilities.
- A new campaign will strive to ensure that every child meets recommended activity levels, building on the School Sport and Activity Action Plan.
- Crucially, this strategy relies on evidence, data, and metrics to track progress and inform future investments in preventative health, aiming to combat inactivity more effectively.
2. Inclusivity and Welcoming Sport Sector:
- The strategy champions inclusivity, striving to make sport and physical activity accessible to all. It pays particular attention to promoting women's and disability sports and embracing diversity in all its forms.
- Furthermore, it seeks to address concerns around sport integrity, thus ensuring that the sector operates with the highest standards of fairness and integrity.
3. Financial Resilience and Sustainability:
- The strategy recognizes the financial challenges the sector faces and aims to provide support for accessing alternative forms of investment. It highlights the importance of adopting best practices, good governance mechanisms, and harnessing the potential offered by technology and innovation.
- In line with the government's commitment to achieving net-zero emissions, there is a concerted effort to make the sector more environmentally sustainable.
This multi-faceted approach will create a more active nation while simultaneously ensuring the sustainability and growth of the sport and physical activity sector. Let us all (individual and companies) rally behind this transformative strategy, working together to foster a healthier, more active nation and securing a brighter future for all. Places Leisure is fired up and ready to do its bit.