Health and wellbeing
Improving my health
Our programmes support recovery, rehabilitation and your overall health and wellbeing.
If you have suffered an illness or recently had an operation our GP referral sessions will help you get back into fitness. You’ll need a ‘prescription to exercise’ from your doctor to get started and our instructors will support you through your sessions.
Your consultation and induction will include meeting with a qualified fitness professional who will assess your situation and design a safe, specific exercise program for your needs. The consultation and induction is free, as the cost is covered by Horsham District Council. You will then be able to access the gym at the following times at a discounted rate.
- Pay as you go and direct debit options are available.
Ask a member of the team for more information or call us on 01903 879666.
Download the Exercise Referral form for your GP to complete.
A 6 week aquatic journey to support you back into activity incorporating access to pool based activity sessions and swimming.
You'll need a referral from participating health professionals. For more information and the list of participating referrers give us a call on 01903 879666.
Our health & wellbeing goals
This year we are focused on the following key areas of Health and Wellbeing:
- Go beyond 15% and attract wider markets i.e the inactive and active ageing
Work with National partners e.g NGB’s (Magnificent 7) and Sport England to be their partner of choice to meet the outcomes of the ‘Towards An Active Nation’ strategy 2016-2021
- To deliver a co-ordinated approach across the district to disabled swimming lessons and sessions
- Create all sites as being Dementia Friendly
- Maintain membership to the Dementia Action Alliance
- Create and support fundraising opportunities for The Alzheimer’s Society
- To work with Horsham Wellbeing hub to offer Falls prevention sessions within the district
- To grow the holiday camps at the 3 centres to encourage higher numbers, positive feedback and a good partnership approach
- To assist with the launch of the Active Schools platform in the local area and encourage take up and engagement through this.
Last year we achieved
- We raised an incredible £2691 for charity
- Re-introduction of inter-site trampolining competition for all children participating on lessons
- Introduction of trampoline taster days across 3 sites in the contract to offer regular trial sessions
- Introduction of 50 week per year trampolining and gymnastics programme to address research in drop in inactivity levels during holiday periods
- Introduction of weekly This Girl Can sessions
- Dementia friendly site status received for all 4 sites and 2 Dementia Champions trained
- Successful delivery and re-allocation of funds from Short Breaks for disabled children to deliver disabled swimming lessons at 3 pools an fun days for the family
- Partnership with Fit for Sport to deliver the 3 sites holiday camps every half term and school holiday period. Transition of booking process, income and staff made and first 5 holidays delivered.
Horsham District Wellbeing
Horsham District Wellbeing is a free service offering friendly information and advice about a range of health and wellbeing issues for adults living or working in the Horsham district. Wellbeing advisors can provide one-to-one support, help and advice on areas including:
- Losing weight
- Stopping smoking
- Healthy eating
- Prediabetes support
- Alcohol awareness
- Being more active
- Emotional wellbeing
We also offer a range of free courses to help you make changes and live life to the full. Have a look at our Service Guide for an overview of what we offer.
Free Health MOT
Would you like to improve your health and wellbeing? We can help you make a start.
Find out about your:
- Weight/ BMI
- Muscle Mass
- Fat Percentage
- Metabolism and physical activity
- Hydration Levels
- Bone Mass
Call us to book a Wellbeing MOT or come along to one of our drop in sessions:
The Octagon, Chart Way, Horsham, RH12 1RA (First Wednesday of the month 11am – 2pm)
Steyning Leisure Centre, Horsham Road, Steyning, BN44 3AA (Last Wednesday of the month 10am – 1pm)
Weight Management Programme
Join a FREE 12 week course with a 2 hour session each weight to assist you with your progress, and to set you regular achievable targets. Being outside of a healthy weight can increase your risk of developing diseases such as heart conditions, stroke, diabetes, cancers and arthritis. Learn strategies to help you create sustainable habits and behaviours to achieve your healthier lifestyle. Understand key nutrition principles, ideas around preparing and planning healthy meals and snacks, tools to monitor your progress, tips to get round barriers and triggers to eating, and ideas to relax and sleep better. Some sessions have a low impact activity class for you to join in with, a weekly weigh in, a resource pack of references, and a food & exercise diary to help you remember what you have learnt and keep on track.
For more information on these courses, or to register for the next available course that best suits you please visit our wellbeing website for details.
You can contact us by
- Phone on 01403 215111
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Complete an enquiry form
- Visit our dedicated website: www.horshamdistrictwellbeing.org.uk
Our FREE 12 week courses are designed to improve your strength and balance, maintain your mobility and keep you independent. Courses are run in locations across the district. For more information visit our website or contact us by phone on 01403 215111 to register for a course in your area.
If you’re not already active why not sign up to a FREE Get Active course to help you along the way? Our ‘Get Active’ courses aim to support and guide you through your first steps to getting active or getting back into activity. We offer a number of courses including Exercise to Music, Learn to Run, Outdoor Military Fitness and Swim4Health. For more information about the courses please visit the Being Active section of our website